Tabriz University of Medical Sciences About    Newsletter    Contact Us    Create Account    Log in  
Journal of Analytical Research in Clinical Medicine
   eISSN: 2345-4970  
Services
Export citation
EndNote
Reference Manager
BibTeX
Medlars
Refworks
Mendeley

Cite by
Google Scholar



Article History
Submitted: 14 Mar 2018
Accepted: 07 May 2018
First published online: 07 May 2018

Article Access Statistics
Abstract Page Views: 22
PDF Downloads: 48
Full Text Views: 0

J Anal Res Clin Med. 2018;6(3):108-114 doi: 10.15171/jarcm.2018.017

Antenatal screening for chromosomal and genetic abnormalities:Cost effectiveness and outcome

Original Article

Simin Tagavi 1, Hossein Alikhah 2, Sharareh Barband 3, Fereshteh Farhadi 4, Mohammad Naghavi-Behzad 3 * , Saeed Jodi-Khajeh 5, Sahar Mohammadi 6, Reza Piri 7

1 Women’s Reproductive Health Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
2 Department of Emergency Medicine, School of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
3 Student Research Committee, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
4 Research Center for Evidence Based Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
5 School of Traditional Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
6 Department of Emergency Medicine, School of Medicine, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
7 Medical Philosophy and History Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran



Abstract
Introduction: As an essential part of antenatal care, pregnant women of all ages should be offered screening for chromosomal abnormalities before 20 weeks of gestation. This study was aimed to evaluate the type and frequency of chromosomal abnormalities following pregnancy screening tests, so that we can compare the actual pregnancy outcomes with test results, helping us in practical decision making. Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted on 557 pregnant patients, presenting for prenatal diagnostic amniocentesis for chromosomal abnormalities, to Al-Zahra hospital, Tabriz, Iran, since 2012 to 2015. Amniocentesis was conducted by an expert obstetrician at second trimester between 16 and 22 weeks of gestation. An interview was set for pregnancy outcomes to assess the test results. Results: Of 557 cases, the mean maternal age in amniocentesis was 31.84 ± 6.92 years (range: 15-47 years). Amniocentesis revealed the presence of chromosomal abnormalities in 32 cases (5.7%). The most common diagnosed chromosomal abnormality was Down syndrome (50.0%) followed by other chromosomal abnormalities. Following up the patients, 92.4% of newborns did not have any congenital abnormality, but the remaining (7.6%) had both chromosomal and non-chromosomal abnormalities. No fetal loss was reported in this study. Assessment of total costs revealed that $US100 had been spent for hospitalization, and about $US500 for genetic tests. Conclusion: There is still no consensus on the most cost-effective strategy that should be implemented to diagnose chromosomal anomalies. Therefore, we did not have an actual gold standard to compare with amniocentesis. More studies analyzing natural outcome after prenatal diagnosis of these chromosomal abnormalities are needed





Comments
First name  
Last name  
Email address  
Comments  
Security code



This Article
PDF

Google Scholar
Articles by Tagavi S
Articles by Alikhah H
Articles by Barband S
Articles by Farhadi F
Articles by Naghavi-Behzad M
Articles by Jodi-Khajeh S
Articles by Mohammadi S
Articles by Piri R

PubMed
Articles by Tagavi S
Articles by Alikhah H
Articles by Barband S
Articles by Farhadi F
Articles by Naghavi-Behzad M
Articles by Jodi-Khajeh S
Articles by Mohammadi S
Articles by Piri R



Share this article!
© 2017 Tabriz University of Medical Sciences; unless otherwise stated.

Press Manuscript Online. Powered by MAADRAYAN